Suffering from laryngitis is almost worse than any other part of a cold. Not being able to communicate through the spoken word can be extremely frustrating; and often, a sore throat accompanies the laryngitis, making matters even worse.
No magical solution exists, but you can do a number of things to help alleviate your sore throat and get your voice back sooner. Check out these 6 things you should do the next time you’re suffering from laryngitis.
1. Honey. Often times, laryngitis is accompanied by a sore throat. The University of Maryland Medical Center recommends adding honey to an herbal tea to help soothe your throat. Add 1 tablespoon of honey to a cup of tea.
2. Salt water. To help kill any bacteria that might be the cause of the laryngitis, WebMD recommends gargling with saltwater. The solution actually helps your throat feel better too. To make the gargling solution, mix 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of warm water.
3. Garlic. If you don’t mind the taste of garlic, Medical News Today has a novel approach to solving your laryngitis. You can chew on a clove of raw garlic. The theory is that the allicin that is released when the garlic is crushed is what is helping the throat. Cooked garlic will not have the same effect as the raw garlic, though.
4. Rest. When suffering from laryngitis, the Mayo Clinic says that nothing is as good for your throat as resting your voice. Simply being quiet is best. Some people make the mistake of whispering, thinking that they are helping rest their voice, but the Mayo Clinic points out that that is actually worse than speaking with your normal voice.
5. Fluids. WebMD says to be sure to drink plenty of fluids. The more you drink, the better off you will be. Since caffeine is a diuretic, you should try to limit the amount you take in.
6. Lozenges. The Mayo Clinic recommends sucking on throat lozenges, but anything you can suck on will help give relief. Anything that will stimulate swallowing is important. You can even chew gum.
Don’t let your voice be silenced. Grab some tea and honey and a handful of lozenges. By being proactive, you can keep from suffering long with laryngitis.